Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Dear 50 Year Old,

You are not old. I say this because I know that you feel old. I know this due to the frequency of mom's complaints about her age. Her wrinkles. Her dark marks. Her tiny imperfections. She glances in the mirror through polarized lenses that filter out her beauty and exaggerate each minuscule flaw. I strongly encourage you to dispose of those lenses.

Your wrinkles and marks are a blessing and countless human beings would kill for the opportunity to develop ones like your own. Each crevice in your skin is filled to the brim with wisdom and knowledge and experiences. Each smooth patch unexposed to the wonders and terrors of life is a blank canvas, ready to be painted with the future.

I'm sure you don't want the same things my heart seems to be set on right now, so it would be silly of me to expect that you're a world-reknown brain surgeon. However, I do have one firm expectation: be the best at whatever you're doing. And if you aren't being all that you could be, go be it. Now.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

With love,
16 Year Old

No comments:

Post a Comment