What's day without night? pretty without ugly? joy without sorrow? life without death? The universe requires balance in all things, as do I.
I love being alone. Pulling up to an empty driveway after school prompts a heavy sigh of relief. Being surrounded by hundreds of rowdy teens for six straight hours drains me (despite the fact that I am one myself); not only does my mind sprint to keep up with my own thoughts, but also the constant interjections of my peers. It's like being stuck in a group chat with 30 people messaging at once- completely overwhelming. When I'm alone there's no pressure, no drama, no saying the wrong thing. There's just reflection, freedom, relaxation. Just me.
But I also enjoy company. There are some people I can have intellectual and thought-provoking conversations with about religion and politics and space and love. I get glimpses of the world through new sets of eyes that deepen understandings and make me question my own perspectives. And there are also some who I can sit with in comfortable silence for hours. Their energy circulates the room and makes anywhere feel like home. Their presence says I'm here for you. And to that I respond I'm here for you too.
Sometimes the best conversations are voiceless.
This blog slays my existence.
ReplyDelete